The greatest achievements of humankind in one stunning volume.
From the most widely used languages and scripts, to the great religious communities, to the giant structures and the technological successes of the modern age -- this volume offers a fascinating overview of the records and achievements of civilization in their entirety and diversity.
More than 3000 color photographs taken by top photographers around the world celebrate the cultural and technological touchstones of human history. Ranking lists provide at-a-glance overviews while descriptive captions give substantial information on a number of topics. Concise text tells of the economic developments and population growth in our megacities, the pioneering work done in science and technology, and the remarkable innovations in the construction of museums, theaters, libraries and sports venues, among many other human achievements.
The book is set out in ten chapters, each covering dozens of topics laid out in double-page spreads filled with brilliant photographs of structures and technology.
- Countries and Nations: biggest land masses, populations, industrial production, exports
- Cities: biggest areas, infrastructures, capital buildings
- Languages and Scripts: most widely spoken and written languages, most books published
- Faith and Religion: biggest cathedrals, mosques and synagogues; most populous religions; longest or biggest pilgrimages; oldest ruins of past religions
- Megastructures: biggest skyscrapers, palaces, towers and state buildings
- Transportation and Traffic: Fastest trains, biggest and busiest train stations, longest bridges, longest freight trains, busiest ports and largest freight and passenger ships
- Aviation and Space Travel: biggest planes - passenger and military; biggest space facilities and rockets; fastest aircraft; biggest airports by size and passenger count
- Science and Research: biggest research labs and stations and observatories
- Sports and Leisure: biggest sports stadiums
- Art and Culture: biggest museums by size and number of artworks.
Fascinating browsing, essential reference, and a tremendous documentation of contemporary achievement, Terra Maxima is a unique compilation of the ultimate.